Tuesday, May 7, 2013

How to shop for Free People, haha.

I have a feeling, the celebrity with my favorite closet would be Nicole Richie.... Every time I see her lately she's wearing some perfectly Bohemian loveliness. Yup... I'm not a Chanel, Dior, Gucci sort of girl; those don't interest me at all... I LOVE Winter Kate, Free People, some Ralph Lauren.... Free People is the one that is my absolute, all time favorite. I have more or less turned my love of their merchandise into a collection. I have a rolling rack in my bedroom that I put primarily my Free People clothing on. (Also because the only place to store anything in my apartment is my bedroom closet, so the racks were a must to clear up some space in the closet for boxes, etc) I just love the Free People brand. I feel like I spent a good portion of my teen-young adult years kind of trying to find clothes that really showed my personality. I believe that clothes are a way to express your personality without having to speak. Free People I only knew a little about back in the day. I didn't have a Free People store where I grew up and the mall an hour away (Somerset Collection in Troy Michigan) only sold the brand at Macy's. I loved it. It was definitely out of my price range until I started to realize that Macy's has amazing deals. Now I feel like a pro at getting great deals on lovely Free People items.
So far, the best place to get a great deal on Free People is: MACY'S. I am very fortunate to have a fantastic Macy's not far from where I live (Thousand Oaks, California) that is apparently one of only three (I think) store's in the US with a large variety of Free People items. This is the place I save lots of money. For instance; after Thanksgiving I thought it would be worth braving the ridiculous crowds to see what kind of good deals Macy's had. I bought about 4 things, I spent 70.00, I saved over 250.00.... A couple weeks ago, I bought 3 dresses and a pair of pants, (again from Macy's) I spent exactly 100.00 and saved 300.00.... yeah.... So it is possible to find some great prices. Like I said, I bought THREE DRESSES. Free People dresses on average are 100.00 each at least.

Ebay.
I have a love/hate relationship with eBay. I've had some bad experiences, but it is a decent place to sometimes run across something you've been looking for for a while and get a better price.

Marshalls: Discount store! Though these markdowns aren't always awesome (once you've experienced the Macy's sales, every one else doesn't come close) But these stores generally have Free People. If you're in California they definitely do.

Tjmaxx: Also a pretty decent place to discover something fun, but usually don't have a large selection.

Nordstrom Rack: They WILL have a section dedicated to Free People. I have personally found that Nordstrom has some of the absolute worst prices for Free People. Most of the time the stuff they have can be found at Macy's for (most of the time) half the price. I have found that Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack have the worst sales ever. haha I usually don't even go. 

The OTHER option is to sign up at your local Free People store to be notified when they have additional percentages off their sale items. Usually it's around an additional 20-25% off) Mind you, this doesn't happen very often, but when it does you can generally get a very good price of things.

So there. That is how I have a pretty large collection of Free People lovelies. I've had people look at me like I'm some crazy person because I do own a lot of Free People clothes and yes, full price they're generally on the expensive side. No, I'm not made out of money. I have simply discovered a way to get what I like for less. :) Some things I have bought full price. Generally I will only buy full price items if they've been hard to find or they're one of their intimates, because those a lot of the time are considered a staple item and may not get a mark down for over a year or more. Shop smart, friends.

"Buy less, choose well."
-Vivienne Westwood.

No comments: