Thursday, July 11, 2013

I reccommend...

 The year is 1945. Claire Randall is traveling with her husband when she touches a boulder in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is hurled back in time to a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of our Lord 1743. Catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, she soon realizes that an alliance with James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, might be the only way to survive. Thus begins a work of unrivaled storytelling that has become a modern classic.
 
I'm so excited for this wonderfully rich story to be a tv series.
So. Darn. Excited.
 
Read it. It's part of a 7 or 8 book series (newest and hopefully last book should be out next spring, I believe), but the first one, Outlander, is the best! It easily could've been a stand alone story. I warn: there is content. So if you're kind of prudish about that, then this book isn't for you. I feel that the content is historically accurate and I like that lack of boundaries the author has. I like nitty-gritty, I s'pose. ;) Let's just say, I'm ruined now for young adult books. Too many limits to keep it teen based. Not to mention the obsessive love life of 16 year olds isn't my cup of tea anymore. I like edgy and intense. A love scene here and there doesn't hurt my feelings. I'm a woman... that stuff is sweet to me. Even if it's explicit, so long as it's not every single chapter (eh hem, 50 Shades of Grey: annoying) then I'm cool.
I was never into books until I was 21 and got my hands on the Twilight series, since then I have immersed myself in the world of fiction on a daily basis. I would say it's to a point of obsession. Outlander was the first adult story I read. It's like 900 pages of epic, history packed adventure with the much added bonus of a sweet love story and lovable, heroic characters.
It's got the depth of Game of Thrones and lots of action but since it's written by a woman I feel she is more connected and emotionally involved with her characters. I love that. I have read only a few stories by men and frankly am always disappointed by the lack of emotional connection they have with their characters. Generally killing them all off at some point. HATE that. I always feel that since I spent so much time reading the story I should be rewarded for my time by being given the pleasure of a happily ever after. Or at least a hopeful ending. I don't ask for much! haha
I digress... if you need reading material and Outlander is one you have yet to discover, I recommend it.



No comments: